Become a Center member for as little as $60 and receive invitations to our exclusive Exhibition Opening Receptions! Join now!
Currently closed for turnaround.
DesEscondido/No Longer Hidden: Public Address Art Exhibition
September 29 – November 18, 2018
Members of the dynamic and diverse group of Public Artists called Public Address, have created an array of multimedia artwork that will explore how things can be both obscured and visible in a city (Escondido) whose very name means “the hidden place”.
Exhibiting Artists: Wick Alexander, Doris Bittar, Robin Brailsford, Diane Gage, Gerda Govine Ituarte, Luis Ituarte, Nina Karavasiles, Debby Kline, Larry Kline, Philip Matzigkeit, Anne Mudge, Melissa Smedley, Lynn Susholtz, Andrea Villa, and Ruth Wallen.
Judit Hersko -Net(work) an integrated installation by student artists: Hanaa Abusalih, Saul Cigarroa, Kimberly Lopez, Ingrid Trovao, and Stephanie Williams.
This exhibition will include a Dia de Los Muertos ofrenda to remember and honor Aida Mancillas, Petar Perisic, and Joyce Cutler Shaw, deceased members of Public Address.
- Friday, September 28, 2018
- Members Only Exhibition Preview 4:30 PM (FREE) includes lite bites and hosted bar until 8 PM
Members – Please RSVP by Friday, September 21st to Kari Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org or (760) 839-4187
- Public Opening Reception 6-8 PM ($10) includes lite bites and no host bar
Events and Programs:
2nd Saturdays “Pay What You Can” Museum Admission Day – 10 AM-5 PM (donations accepted)
Saturday, October 13 and November 10, 2018
- October 13 and November 10, 10 AM and 11:15 AM // Art Lessons – (on a first-come, first-serve basis) Come to our Museum art studio for a hands-on art activity
- October 13, 3 PM; Community Poetry Writing Workshop: Gerda Govine Ituarte
- November 10, 2 PM: Alzheimer’s Embracing the Humor, book reading and discussion: Nina Karavasiles and Andrea Villa
Artist Activities and Lectures ($5 members // $10 non-members/unless otherwise noted):
Sunday, October 21, 2018
- 1 PM – Inherited Patterns and Watershed Moments; Join exhibiting artists, Doris Bittar, Nina Karavasiles, and Ruth Wallen in an informative discussion about their work.
- 3 PM – Participate in “Citizen Poets” with exhibiting artist and poet Gerda Govine Ituarte (FREE)
Thursday November 1, 2018; 23rd Annual Dia de Los Muertos Festival
Sunday, November 18
- 2 PM – Partners for Life- Partners in Art; a discussion with three couples, Robin Brailsford, Wick Alexander, Debby Kline, Larry Kline, Luis Ituarte, and Gerda Govine Ituarte
- 3 PM – Luis Ituarte – La Familia, sculptures come to life gallery walk (FREE)
- 3 PM – Gerda Govine – Poetry Reading/Open Mic (FREE)
Student work on display will focus on one of two themes, the “Hidden/Unhidden” theme of DesEscondido or Dia de Los Muertos.
To purchase event tickets and find out more about our programs and events, please visit us at artcenter.org or call our Box Office at 800.988.4253. Event tickets may also be purchased at the door.
Image credit: Wick Alexander, Doris Bittar, Robin Brailsford, Star Streams (detail), 2017, Lithomosaic®
Doris Bittar, 2018
Manzanar: The Wartime Photographs of Ansel Adams & Wendy Maruyama: Executive Order 9066
January 12 – March 10, 2019
An intimate look through the lens of celebrated photographer, Ansel Adams, at the daily life in Manzanar, one of the ten Japanese-American incarceration camps in the U.S. during World War II. Concurrently on view is work by Wendy Maruyama who analyzes the interment camps with a contemporary eye.
Image credit: Ansel Adams, Loading Bus, c. 1943, Courtesy of Photographic Traveling Exhibitions, Los Angeles, CA.
April 6 – May 12, 2018
Convergence, a concept that evokes movement toward a shared point or destination, brings together artists from the San Diego-Tijuana region. This exhibit highlights the multiple ways of seeing and interpreting perspectives by fostering dialogue through the shared medium of art.
Image credit: Gilbert Rangel, All of Me, 2013, Mixed media, 36 x 18 x 12 in.
Become A Museum Docent
Share your love for the visual arts with your community! Please contact Beth Marino, Museum Exhibition Manager, at email@example.com.