DesEscondido/No Longer Hidden: Public Address Art Exhibition
Members of the dynamic and diverse group, Public Address, have created an array of multimedia artwork that will explore how things can be both obscured and visible in a city (Escondido) whose very name means “the hidden place”.
Exhibiting Artists: Wick Alexander, Doris Bittar, Robin Brailsford, Diane Gage, Gerda Govine Ituarte, Luis Ituarte, Nina Karavasiles, Debby Kline, Larry Kline, Philip Matzigkeit, Anne Mudge, Melissa Smedley, Lynn Susholtz, Andrea Villa, and Ruth Wallen. Judit Hersko -Net(work) an integrating installation by student artists: Hanaa Abusalih, Saul Cigarroa, Kimberly Lopez, Ingrid Trovao, and Stephanie Williams.
This exhibition will include a Dia de Los Muertos ofrenda to remember and honor Aida Mancillas, Petar Perisic, and Joyce Cutler Shaw, former members of Public Address.
Events and Programs:
- Opening Reception
Friday, September 28, 2018
- 2nd Saturdays “Pay What You Can” Museum Admission Day – 10 AM-5 PM (donations accepted)
Saturday, October 13 and November 10, 2018
- October 13 and November 10, 10 AM and 11:15 AM // Art Lessons – (on a first-come, first-serve basis) Come to our Museum art studio for a hands-on art activity
- October 13, 3 PM; Community Poetry Writing Workshop: Gerda Govine Ituarte
- November 10, 2 PM: Alzheimer’s Embracing the Humor, book reading and discussion: Nina Karavasiles and Andrea Villa
Artist Activities and Lectures
Sunday, October 21
- 1 PM – Inherited Patterns and Watershed Moments; Join exhibiting artists, Doris Bittar, Nina Karavasiles, and Ruth Wallen in an informative discussion about their work.
- 3 PM – Participate in “Citizen Poets” with exhibiting artist and poet Gerda Govine Ituarte (FREE)
Thursday November 1, 2018; 23rd Annual Dia de Los Muertos Festival
Sunday, November 18
- 2 PM – Lecture; The Art of Collaboration; Robin Brailsford, Wick Alexander, Debby Kline, Larry Kline, Luis Ituarte, and Gerda Govine Ituarte.
- 3 PM – Luis Ituarte – La Familia, sculptures come to life gallery walk (FREE)
- 3 PM – Gerda Govine- Poetry Reading/Open Mic (FREE)
Student work on display will focus on one of two themes, the “Hidden/Unhidden” theme of DesEscondido or Dia de Los Muertos